Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Love, Peace and Justice

Well here's my attempt at trying to blog again. I go through blog phases where I post alot, then not so much. So I'm going to try putting up small posts once or twice a week. We'll see how this goes. It may take me a time or two to find my voice and actually get my words out right, but here goes.

This week I'm going to start with a trailer for Hillsong United's new movie "The I Heart Revolution: We're All In This Together" and a look at Matthew 25

I've been on this journey learning about Justice issues around the world and what is God's heart for these issues, and what are we suppose to do. This video has been rocking my world the last couple weeks. So take 4 minutes and watch this trailer and then lets take a look at Matthew 25.



When we forsake the lives of others, We actually forsake our own. WOW! I think this is what Jesus is saying here;

Matthew 25:34-40
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I think that Jesus is calling us to act. Each one of us has something that we can offer to the horrible injustices that are happening around the world. Even the ones that are happening in our own backyards. There have been several reports of human trafficking right here in the Central Coast.

• How do we help the poor in our world – Whether in our backyard or across the globe?


- If they’re hungry … we bring food.

- If they’re homeless … we provide shelter.

- If they get sick … we provide medical care.

If they get abused … we bring relief and advocacy.


It seems pretty clear...


I recently drove out of Burger King and saw a homeless guy sitting with a sign. I had just come from a meeting at our church. It was 9:00 pm and not really the time you see someone sitting with a sign at the end of a Burger King driveway. I saw him while I was waiting for my food. I thought about giving him some money, but then like the movie above, the thoughts of what if he spends it on drugs or booze. So I drove past him on the way to my friends house.


I got half way up the street and had to turn around. I drove back to the parking lot and parked my car. I had $10 in my wallet, so I walked over to the guy sitting on the curb holding his cardboard sign. For the next 30 minutes I sat and talked to the guy that so many people had driven past assuming he would spend the money on booze. While I was sitting there I got to learn that he was staying in a hotel up the street with his wife and two kids because they had just lost their home and job. I got to pray for my friend, and gave him some options for help in our area. I haven't seen my friend holding the cardboard sign again, but i've been praying for him and his family.


I'm not saying give money to every homeless person you see, but maybe we should? I know some people buy gift cards to fast food places, all good options.


I think the important thing to remember is to not just drive by/walk by and assume we are to do nothing, but we should pray and ask God what he would want us to do.

2 comments:

Jeremy Sizemore said...

Sweet... I sense God's heart in your words.
-jer

Ariah said...

Okay, so I know this wasn't the intent of your post, but the Movie trailer gets me.

I found it really fascinating the first time I saw it back when the trailer first came out.

But, it's been about 2 years now and I haven't seen much of a revolution. I'm not sure what to do with that. are we just stealing radical language (revolution) without actually acting on it?


Your story of practical application in your life is beautiful, but it's rare, it's the exception to the rule. How do we make it the standard of the church?

(by the way, "hi")