Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sabbath

Sabbath is generally a weekly day of rest and/or time of worship that is observed in any of several faiths. The term derives from the Hebrew shabbat (שבת), "to cease", which was first used in the Biblical account of the seventh day of Creation. Observation and remembrance of the Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments (the fourth in the original Jewish, the Eastern Orthodox, and most Protestant traditions. Many viewpoints and definitions have arisen over
 the millennia. - wikipedia

I've been realizing lately that even though I'm an extravert, love being around people. I need to have some time to myself. 

Growing up in church, I know that it is biblical for me to take a break and call it a "Sabbath". Someone I know said that "Sabbath" is just about not doing anything, but is to take your soul and give it a break.

For me it is easy to get doing a million different things and become busy with a lot of different little things. I need to remember to set aside time for me. I set time aside for my wife, kids, work, but I need to remember to set time aside for me as well.

Jesus said, "man is not for the sabbath, but sabbath for man". I think this is what I have been doing lately. I have been going to church on sunday and being around people and calling this my "sabbath", but I think i need to find a place just to myself. A place where my soul can rest and recharge my soul. 

So hopefully I can move forward in this area, and start taking better care of my soul.

No comments: